H2o Dreams has been providing the exceptional instruction experiences since 2012. Aimed at creating lifelong paddlers at every level, the ability to meet paddlers at their individual levels of comfort and desires is what sets H2o Dreams apart from the rest. Our goal is to empower, enable, and liberate our students so that they can continue to grow and progress beyond our classroom time. H2o Dreams does not work within a dogmatic instruction paradigm; rather, our instruction approach is flexible and dynamic to meet the diverse needs of our students and the demands of our changing river environment.
Skills & Qualifications
This is a high energy, physically demanding job. Candidates should be physically fit, capable of lifting 50lbs, rigorous hiking, and long days in a wide range of weather conditions.
All instructors work through a mentorship process as an ASST. Instructor for a period of time with H2o Dreams. Even our most critical roles are not awarded without a pedigree in training and personal betterment no matter what your experience is. Please keep this in mind as you apply. Want to know more about our mission and teaching ethos?
- Must be 21 years of age and possess a valid driver’s license.
- American Canoe Certification in discipline preferred
- Wilderness First Responder or higher (internal training opportunities available if candidate is exceptional in other areas)
- Comfort guiding and rescuing on Class III-IV preferred.
- Exceptional verbal communication skills and desire to work with people of all ages.
- Enthusiasm for education.
- Detail oriented, safety minded.
- The ability to work effectively without oversight.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Must be available for the youth programming season in full. Time off for vacation, family function, personal pursuits is possible and won’t disqualify a candidate as long as the candidate can fulfill all obligations prior. Youth program season begins May 1 and ends Labor Day each season. Full time work (30+ hrs) is guaranteed during this time.
- Staff training on April 18-19, 2020 required.
- Availability for H2o Dreams ACA ICW on March 9-13, 2020 – if not attending a previous ICW must have been completed in the last two years
- Availability for H2o Dreams ACA Advanced Swiftwater Rescue on March 20-22, 2020 – if not attending a previous course must have been completed in the last two years.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Research, plan, implement, market and promote all aspects of H2o Dreams programs.
- Set-up and review trip itinerary, logistics, budget, safety concerns and equipment needs with the Program Director.
- Set-up and conduct all mandatory pre-trip meetings and information sessions.
- Assist in developing, planning, maintaining and implementing all aspects of H2o Dreams trainings, budgets, personnel and management.
- Drive participants to and from the event.
- Ensure the safety of all participants.
- Teach participants about the natural world and minimum impact techniques for the environment.
- Instruct participants on proper technique and demonstrate skills when necessary.
- Youth Program Lead may schedule regular office hours to work on all aspects of H2o Dreams planning, trainings, budgets, personnel and management.
Benefits & Compensation
- Competitive, negotiable, and depending on experience. Our starting wage for all instructors is $12/hr.
- Scheduled internal trainings and professional development including certifications.
- Annual $250 scholarship for professional development outside of H2o Dreams functions.
- Assistance in finding living arrangements.
[st_button type=”custom” url=”https://www.h2odreams.com/employment/instructor-job-description/application/” button_label=”APPLY NOW” style=”primary” is_block=”1″ margin_top=”” margin_bottom=”” size=”btn-lg” position=”left” link_target=”_self” icon=”iconentypo-publish”]