The $%#@ hits the fan in less than ideal conditions with sub-optimal group sizes. We build off of our philosophy of simple to complex rescues and emphasis of boat based rescue but now work into the more complicated rope and rescue work of the professionals, however, with a smaller team. This class is ideal for the folks who are trip-leading through the winter months or those that like to get after the steeps or swollen rivers during the times of the year that exposure is heightened.
Although not required, we highly recommend having taken a Common Sense Rescue Course with us prior or discuss equivalency with our program leader. Our curriculum is based off an ACA L5 Advanced Swiftwater Rescue taught by an ACA L5 Instructor, and we can provide certificate of completion or an assessment (requires a pre-clinic meeting) at the conclusion of the course. We also offer these programs for custom groups.
- Ages 18 and up
- Be in excellent health and overall fitness
- Comfort in open water and swimming required
- Common Sense Rescue (or equivalency) and multiple years of boating experience
- Drysuits are not recommended, they are required
- You will need skull caps or hoods as well as durable, warm, gloves for ropework in freezing water.
- You will need to wear additional insulation under your drysuit as you can experience cold-water immersion for over an hour.
Trip price: $279.00
Location(s): Green River, Saluda, NC
Trip duration: 2 1/2 days (includes Friday evening “shop talk”, 2 6 hours )
Guest to instructor ratio: 4 guests to 1 instructor, class caps at 8
- Shuttle transportation
- Rescue essentials (Rescue PFD, River Knife, Pin Kit Essentials, Rope(s)) *We have some equipment available for rent
- Supplemental class materials
- Transportation to Saluda, NC
- Equipment essentials (Kayak equipment, dry or wetsuit layers, and a river knife)