About the course:
Springtime brings us ideal water levels for Southeast river exploration. Join our crew and our more experienced campers to travel and explore every Saturday through the month of May into June to see some of the more hidden gems in North and South Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia. We will meet early each Saturday and travel to our selected river for the day and return each evening with stories to share and new skills acquired.
The Green River School Spring program will occur on five (5) select Saturdays for youth paddlers from ages (s) 10-16. The aim of these paddling sessions is to introduce newer intermediate kayakers to the joys of river running and exploration while helping more experienced kayakers refine the skills necessary to keep it safe, productive, and fun.
Rivers often included: Section IX of the French Broad, Pigeon, Green River, Nolichucky, Chattooga. Other rivers will be utilized based on availability of appropriate river flows and will be prioritized over the typical dam released rivers.
- Character development through the “H2o Dreams Pillars of Leadership.”
- Introduction and development of whitewater paddling skills where necessary
- Introduction to safety skills
- A driven yet supportive environment to encourage peers
- Developing characteristics that are important as river professionals
- Supervised guided discovery
- The building of camaraderie, community, and leadership in young paddlers
- Must have prior river experience
- A willingness and desire to master the roll in downriver scenarios
- Ages 10-16
- A positive attitude and desire to try new challenges
- Be in good health and overall fitness
- Comfort in open water and swimming required; swim test on the first day with rescue review
- No skill splits during this program, the group will come together to become a well honed paddling team
Session price: $725
Location(s): Meet in Saluda, NC
Camp schedule and location:
- Saturdays; May 6, 13, 20, 27 and June 3rd; no prorating.
- Drop-off: 8:00A – 8:30A
- River activities: 10:00A – 4:00P
- Camp Pickup: 5:30P – 6:00P
- H2o Dreams Paddling School – pickup and dropoff location
- Green River in Saluda, NC and surrounding rivers and creeks
- Sections will vary based on skill range and aims of each session.
Guest to instructor ratio: 4 guests to 1 instructor
- All essential river equipment
- Transportation to and from river locations
- Transportation to H2o Dreams Paddling School for drop-off and pick-up
- Snacks, meals, and drinks
- Swimwear and closed-toed water shoes