“I’d highly recommend this camp not only for young rippers, but also for kids that want to learn about the river (including the ecology) and for parents who want to know their little ones are safe doing it.”
– Brian G.
About the course:
It’s true that often the best part of any sport is getting to share it with friends… whitewater kayaking is no different! The Green River School seeks to build that positive community around one of the most spectacular river gorges in the country by bringing young paddlers together for weekly coaching.
The Green River School will occur most weeks throughout the summer in Saluda, NC, for youth paddlers from age(s) 8-16. The aim of these coaching sessions is to introduce new paddlers to the joys of the river and the skills necessary to keep it safe, productive, and fun.
- Character development through the “H2o Dreams Pillars of Leadership.”
- Introduction and development of whitewater paddling skills
- Introduction to safety skills
- A competitive and supportive environment to encourage peers
- Developing characteristics that are important as river professionals
- Supervised guided discovery
- Building of camaraderie, community, and leadership in young paddlers
- Ages 8-16, (we accept younger and older with interview/prior lesson)
- A positive attitude and desire to try new challenges
- Be in good health and overall fitness
- Comfort in open water and swimming required; swim test on first day
- Each child will be assessed and grouped with others of similar skill
Session price: $475 per session
Location(s):H2o Dreams Outpost, Green River Gorge; Saluda, NC
Camp schedule and location:
- Monday – Friday
- Drop-off: 8:30A – 9:00A
- Camp activities: 9:00A – 4:30P
- Camp Pickup: 4:30P – 5:00P
- Green River, Saluda, NC | Sections will vary based on skill range and aims of each session. Times and locations will be determined weekly for participants. Week includes one field trip to other river destination.
Guest to instructor ratio: 4 guests to 1 instructor; always at minimum 2 instructors per session
- All essential river equipment
- Transportation to the river each day
- Transportation to H2o Dreams for drop-off and pick-up
- Swimwear and closed toe water shoes (see parent packet for acceptable footwear)
- Lunches and snacks
- See complete list of essentials in parent packet