About the course:
Young paddlers who have kayaking experience and are hungry for more will be excited for more adventures and challenge with our Green River School Plus Overnight Camp. Graduates from our introductory weeks of Green River School or kayakers with equivalent experience can look forward to more skill development with an emphasis on inversion and gaining confidence with the roll, stroke and rapid strategy, new sections of river, and more opportunities to lead. Campers spend each night with H2o Dreams staff at new locations preparing for new and challenging rivers which culminates in an overnight river experience where they paddle in and camp at their riverside location.
The Green River School Plus occurs select weeks throughout the summer in Saluda, NC, for youth paddlers from age(s) 12-16 (younger accepted with prior lesson to assess compatibility). The aim of these sessions is to build confidence of young paddlers to become more self-reliant on the river while having fun, and of course continuing to develop the skills necessary to keep kayaking safe, productive, and worthwhile. Hiking with kayaks and a commitment to the kayak roll will be required of a paddler attending the Green River School Plus sessions.
- Character development through the “H2o Dreams Pillars of Leadership.”
- Introduction and development of intermediate to advanced whitewater paddling skills
- Development of safety and rescue skills
- A competitive and supportive environment to encourage peers
- Developing characteristics that are important as river professionals
- Supervised guided discovery
- Building of camaraderie, community, and leadership in young paddlers
- Ages 12-16, we accept younger but with prior lesson to assess compatibility
- Willingness and desire to be upside down and commitment to the kayak roll
- Willingness and ability to hike with a kayak
- A positive attitude and desire to try new challenges
- Be in good health and overall fitness
- Comfort in open water and swimming required; swim test on first day
- Green River School – Youth Kayak Day Camp or equivalency* please inquire if your child has paddling experience outside of H2o Dreams!
- Recommendation from H2o Dreams Green River School instructor
- Brief on-water interview
Session price: $1,050 per session
Location(s): Saluda, NC
Camp schedule and location:
- Monday 9AM – Friday 5:30PM
- Optional early drop off: 7:30A – 8:30A
- Regular drop-off: 8:30A – 9:00A
- Camp Pickup: 5:30P Friday
- Green River, Saluda, NC; and surrounding rivers and creeks
- Sections will vary based on skill range and aims of each session. Times and locations will be determined weekly for participants. Week includes daily field trips to other river destinations. Skill focus on slalom, freestyle, and creek boating.
Guest to instructor ratio: 4 guests to 1 instructor; always at minimum 2 instructors per session
- All essential river equipment
- Transportation to the river each day
- Transportation to H2o Dreams for drop-off and pick-up
- Swimwear and closed toe water shoes (see parent packet for acceptable footwear)
- Required camping equipment
- Reach out to discuss equipment needs
There are no reviews yet.