Whether you are relatively new to paddling or been kayaking for a few years, creek boating is a niche discipline all its own. Everything from equipment to technique to how you proceed downstream can change and evolve as you begin to encounter gradient, rocks, and narrower river beds- the characteristics of a creek.
The Fundamentals of Creeking aims not only to introduce you to creeking skills essential for success such as group management, boofing, and water reading, but also to change your perspective from an avoidance mentality when meeting obstacles. Learn to use both rocks and water to your advantage as you pick your way down more intricate whitewater, and expect your comfort and orientation maneuvering downstream to heighten.
Find yourself more present than ever on the water as your perception of the river changes with every edge drop and boof stroke… creeking is Zen. Students can expect to be comfortably pushed to explore a new realm of paddling while the highest safety considerations are maintained.
- Ages 14 and up
- Students under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a legal guardian
- A commitment to trying to roll in class II-III whitewater with some success
- Be in good health and overall fitness
- Comfort in open water and swimming required
- Common Sense Rescue or equivalency highly recommended
- Competency and working toward mastery in Fundamental level courses or equivalent skill
Trip price: $279.00
Location(s): Saluda, NC and surrounding creeks
Trip duration: 2 days (4-6 hours each day)
Guest to instructor ratio: 4 guests to 1 instructor, class caps at 8
- Shuttle transportation
- Supplemental class materials
- Transportation to river location
- Equipment essentials